When it comes to table displays for Autumn, taking inspiration from forest floors and garden paths can help you create a magical design that feels like it came from a fairy tale.
Walk through the woods, along the edges of your garden or through a park to gather ideas and little nature finds to include in your design. Take a look at our Autumn woodland centrepiece below for inspiration in creating your own fall accent for Thanksgiving with mushrooms, succulents and pumpkins - oh my! A white pumpkin in a found nest adds fall flair to this centrepiece, along with pinecones found under an evergreen. We've also tucked in some succulents of course, our favourites!
For something a little more woodland we added in two kinds of mushrooms (found at the produce section of the grocery store) with earthy brown colours, and they keep the whole design looking spontaneous.
The orange colour of the berries stop them from being too Christmas. Adding surprising little details of found nature objects can turn your table centrepiece into a magical story.
Design Your Own Woodland Fairy Tale
1. We started the design with stacked worn boards, and laid out damp kale leaves to create a dark green base. These can be misted to keep the entire display fresh for 24 hours.
2. Succulent plants, with their roots and damp soil wrapped in plastic wrap, are placed in the design. (You can also use small pieces of soaked floral foam.)
3. Pinecones in different sizes help to create the landscape. A white mini-pumpkin placed in a found nest creates an Autumn narrative in the design.
4. A spot of purple is added using ornamental kale plants. We also use rolled bark and two kinds of herbs to add texture to the design. The candles will create a beautiful light display in the evening.
5. Large portobellos and mini Enokitake mushrooms can be added in among the kale leaf folds, making the design more woodland themed and adding a spot of surprise. Group them together in bunches in the centrepiece.
6. The final touch is adding some Autumn colour, such as the orange berries or the violet fancy lettuce leaves. Use stones or wood pieces around the edges to finish it off.
Use the natural areas near your home as inspiration, whether that's birch trees or oak leaves. A string of mini-lights gently placed in your centrepiece can create a really magical look for the evening as well. Be imaginative and have fun creating a masterpiece for your table to wow your guests for the evening!