Pot Up Your Bonsai!
When you bring home a new bonsai you want to give it a beautiful pot to really show it off! It's easy to pot up a bonsai, especially with our expert, Bernie, here to give you all the tips you need to do it right.
- Take your bonsai out of its original pot and remove as much soil as possible from the roots of the plant in a firm but gentle motion.
- Choose your pot! You don't want it to be too large, or the plant will get overgrown. Use a bit of burlap mash, or plain burlap, in the bottom of the pot so that soil doesn't fall out of the drainage holes.
- Add a bit of soil to the bottom of the pot, then place your tree on top of that, choosing an interesting spot. We recommend against planting it right in the middle but instead placing your bonsai off to the side a little bit. This makes a more interesting composition and also leaves room for accents.
- Surround your plant's roots with soil, lightly pressing down.
- Top your bonsai with rocks or pebbles to keep the soil in the pot and also help retain moisture. Plus, it looks great!